All traffic payments are processed through the Central Cashiering Department. This would include walk up customers as well as mail payments. Payments can be made in the form of cash, money order,credit card, personal or business checks (please do not mail cash). Walk in customers, must show a valid ID or driver’s license when paying by personal check. You have 30 calendar days from the date the citation was issued to resolve it. If you need an extension of time, you may contact the Traffic Department regarding a payment plan.
Once you are beyond the time allowed to resolve the citation, the process of suspending your driver’s license will begin and late fees of up to $23.00 will be added. Personal checks will not be accepted once a late fee has assessed. If non-compliance exceeds 3 months, citation may be subject to collections.
Pay by mail :
St Johns Clerk of Court, 4010 Lewis Speedway, St. Augustine, FL 32084, Attention: Traffic
Pay in person:
Come to the St Johns Clerk of Court Office at 4010 Lewis Speedway, St. Augustine, FL 32084, Building A – Courthouse Annex, front parking lot. The Traffic Department is located just inside security to your left; this is the North Entrance to the Clerk of Courts.
ON-LINE PAYMENTS www.myfloridacounty.com
- Payment may be made online for traffic tickets within 30 days of the citation violation date.
- If your ticket exceeds the 30 day due date, you will not find and will be unable to pay your citation online.
- You will be unable to elect driver improvement school on a citation through the online system after the first 30 days and must submit your election and payment by mail or in person.
- For status and information about traffic tickets call (904) 819-3628.
To request research for Traffic violations, download this request form and follow the instructions on the form: Traffic Research Request Form .
SPEEDING AND OTHER MOVING VIOLATIONS
On all moving violations you have three (3) options from which to choose to resolve it. An option form must be completed and returned along with the payment. Once you have chosen your option, you may not change it.
Pay the citation - All moving violations carry points. Paying the citation is an admission of guilt and will result in the points being assessed on the driver’s license. An option form must be completed and returned along with the payment.
Fines as of October 1, 2009
Speeding 30mph or more over the posted speed requires a mandatory court appearance, unless the statute states the violation occurred within a School or Construction Zone. Fines and costs will be determined by the Judge.
Speeding in a School/Construction Zone
6-9 miles over...$131.00
1-9 miles over…...$156.00
10-14 miles over...$206.00
10-14 miles over...$306.00
15-19 miles over...$256.00
15-19 miles over...$406.00
20-29 miles over...$281.00
20-29 miles over...$456.00
30 miles & over...Assessed
30 miles & over....$606.00
- MOST Other Moving Violations other than Speeding: $166.00
- Driving While License Suspended (Unknowingly): $160.00
- Failure to Stop for a School Bus: $271.00
- Violations of R/R Crossing: $206.00
- Move Over Act: $136.00
- Failure to Stop at a Traffic Signal: $264.00 (effective 10-01-09 DHSMV will require completion of a school on red light violations)
- Commercial Motor Vehicle Violation: Range from $136.00 to $336.00
- Leaving a Child Unattended in a Vehicle: Mandatory Court or Fine $136.00
- Motorcycle Violations – Wheels off ground OR Tag Improperly Affixed $1,150.00 (1st Offense) $2,651.00 (2nd Offense) Effective 10/01/2008
- Moving violations - 3 Points
- Speeding 15 mph or less over posted speed - 3 Points
- Speeding 16 mph or more over posted speed; - 4 Points
- Passing stopped school bus - 4 Points
- Moving violation (non speeding) resulting in a crash - 4 Points
- Unlawful speeding resulting in a crash - 6 Points
- Reckless Driving (Criminal Traffic Infraction) - 4 Points
- Leaving scene of a crash with damage (>$50) - 6 Points
- Littering - 3 Points
- Violation of child restraint laws - 3 Points
- Red Light Violation - 4 Points
Points Suspensions by the State of Florida Length
- 12 points accumulated within 12 months - 30 days
- 18 points accumulated within 18 months - 3 Months
- 24 points accumulated within 36 months (3 years) - 1 Year
If you are between the ages of 15 and 17 and have accumulated six (6) or more points within a 12 month period, the Department of Motor Vehicles shall notify you and issue you a restricted license for business purposes only. (F.S. 322.161)
Request a court hearing to contest the ticket - If you wish to deny the citation and request a court date, you must fill out an option form which is provided by the clerks office within 30 days from the date of the citation. You will be notified of the court hearing by mail. By selecting this option, you waive your right to pay the fine or elect traffic school. The court may impose a fine of up to $500. Cases of Unlawful Speed in a School Zone/Construction Zone, accident involving a death and certain motorcycle violations will enable the court to impose a fine of at least $1,000 and up to $2,060. The court may also order you to attend driver improvement school. If you live out of state and cannot attend a court date in person, you may request an Affidavit of Defense. The affidavit must be completed and returned along with your driving record before the court date at which time it will be submitted to the Judge in lieu of you attending.
STOP: YOU CANNOT ELECT THE BELOW OPTION IF YOU HOLD A COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE OR
IF YOU WERE CITED FOR SPEEDING 30 MPH OR MORE OVER THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT.
Electing to Attend a Driver Improvement School (DIS) - This option will keep the points from being assessed on the driver’s license. Once the election is made with the Clerk’s Office, you will have 60 days to complete the driving school and return the completion certificate to this office. It is your responsibility to contact the school, get enrolled in a class and submit us your completion certificate within the time frame. You may attend the school anywhere in the State of Florida. They are listed in the yellow pages of the phone book under Driving Instructions. The school may also be taken on the internet or by renting a movie from your local video store that supplies this service. Make sure that the school is Florida approved. An option form must be completed and returned along with the payment. The school you attend will also charge a fee upon registration for the class. If the Option Form/Seal is provided by the Clerk an additional $7.00 Affidavit Fee will be charged. If you fail to submit a completion certificate by your compliance date the points for your violation will be assessed to your driver’s license. Failure to submit a completion certificate by your compliance date shall result in additional fees, license suspension and the points for your violation will be assessed to your driver’s license.
If your payment and Option Form are not received in our office by your due date, you will not be able to elect Driver Improvement School.
Do you qualify for the Driving School?
- Have you elected traffic school within the past 12 months or more than 5 times within your lifetime? If the answer is NO you qualify for the driving school election. If the answer is YES you DO NOT qualify for the driving school election. If you are unsure, you may call the Tallahassee DMV at 1-850-617-2000 or go to the DHSMV website https://www6.hsmv.state.fl.us/DLCheck/main.jsp to find out. Please have your driver’s license number available when calling.
- Do you have a CDL, Commercial Drivers License? If the answer is NO you qualify for the driving school election. If the answer is YES you DO NOT qualify for the driving school election.
- Was your citation written for driving 30mph or more over the posted speed but was not within a School or Construction Zone? If the answer is NO you qualify for the driving school election. If the answer is YES you DO NOT qualify for the driving school election.
- The fine when electing Traffic School is the same as the fine listed to pay in full. Under Senate Bill 0012 the reduction when electing school was removed from Florida Statute 318.14(9).
- Please note: Under Florida Statute 322.0261 (4)(a-c) The State Department will review records for violations of s. 316.074(1), s. 316.075(1)(c)1., s. 316.172, s. 316.191, or s. 316.192 and shall require that operator, to attend a department-approved driver improvement course in order to maintain driving privileges. If a school election is made through the Clerk’s Office on the citation and completed then the DMV will not require the school completion again. In addition, if the court withholds adjudication the school will not be required through the DMV unless the violation is under 316.172; school completion will be required under this violation.
Non-moving violations do not carry points. Most of these citations carry a fine of $116.00; however, some of them may be reduced to a fee of $10.00 for a dismissal.
Proof of Valid Drivers License, Registration or Insurance
If you received a citation for no proof of insurance, failure to carry driver license, failure to carry registration, or expired driver license, registration or insurance and your driver’s license/registration/insurance was actually valid on the date of the ticket, your ticket may be dismissed for $10.00 along with the proof of validity. Proof may be provided in the form of a Xerox copy of the original document in question. If the driver’s license, registration or insurance was expired, you will be required to pay the full fine amount and provide proof of renewal of the driver license, registration or insurance. If proof can not be provided avehicle owner affidavit must be completed and submitted along with the payment. The full fine will be due on these violations if proof cannot be provided, $116.00-Insurance Violations or $113.00-Registration or License Violations.
A correction affidavit may be submitted on a citation for Driving a Vehicle in Unsafe Condition Florida Statute# 316.610. The correction affidavit is located on the back of your citation option #5 – Faulty Equipment Affidavit of Compliance. If the defect is corrected and the affidavit portion of the citation is signed within 30 days of the date the citation was issued, the penalty is reduced to $96.00. An officer must sign the back of the ticket, affirming the correction was made, within 30 days of the date the citation was issued. You must submit the back of the citation signed by an officer and the correction affidavit at the time of payment. If the correction is not made within the first 30 days, the full fine of $116.00 will be due.
SUSPENDED DRIVERS LICENSE
Once you have past the allowed time to take care of a citation and have failed to do so, a $23.00 late fee is assessed to the citation and your driving privilege is suspended until it is taken care of. At the time of payment, a D-6 clearance will be given to you to submit to the Drivers License Bureau. If possible we may reinstate you at our office through our Tallahassee System. The reinstatement fee, if done in the Clerks Office, is $60.00. Personal checks will not be accepted once late fees have assessed to the citation. Unless you reinstate through our office your driver’s license will remain suspended until you physically take your clearance form to the Division of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
Unpaid citations are sent to a collection agency. If you are more than 30 days past your suspension date by the state please contact our office to see if your case is in collections. (904) 819-3628
Do not mail payment to the below address unless our office has confirmed your citation is in collections.
The collection agency is Linebarger, Goggan, Blair & Sampson LLP. You may contact the collection agency and pay your fine by mail or phone.
St. Johns County Clerk of Court
P.O. Box 864107
Orlando, FL 32886-4107
Phone: (866) 234-9790 Toll Free
Payment can be made by cashier’s check or money order payable to:
St. Johns County Clerk of Court
To pay by credit card, call (866) 234-9790. Partial payments will not be accepted.**To receive your D6 Clearance: St. Johns County Clerk’s Office, once notified by the collection agency of your payment, will court clear the suspension on your Florida license and you will need to pay a reinstatement fee to your local DMV. This process will take approximately three (3) business days, please call (904)819-3628 to verify court clearance is applied. If you are licensed in any other state please provide us with a current mailing address for us to send your clearance form to you for license reinstatement, (904) 819-3628. *If you pay by personal check the collection agency will hold your payment for 10 days before reporting your payment to our office.